The year was 1968:
- The #1 song was Hey Jude by the Beatles
- Apollo 8 made the first manned orbit of the moon
- Boeing launched the first 747 Jumbo Jet
- Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy were tragically assassinated
- Electralloy started up an Electric Arc Furnace to reclaim stainless steel grindings into 200 pound pigs for remelt
Electralloy purchased the very first Linde Licensed AOD unit and produced the first heats of stainless steel in July of 1970. The second Linde Licensed AOD unit was commissioned in 1974.
Electralloy pioneered AOD technology and is the Longest Continuous Operating (A.O.D.) Refining operation in the world.
Through the Years Electralloy has continued to lead, innovate and expand capabilities...
- Two Electrode Slag Remelt Units (up to 50,000#)
- Crucibles 17”, 20”, 24”, 30”, 36”, 40” and 44” Rd. 12” x 42” and 20” x 55” slab molds
- Seven Vacuum Arc Remelt Units (45,000#)
- Crucibles 17”, 20”, 22”, 24”, 30”, 33, 36”, and 40” Rd.
- New Wrought Products Finishing Facility
- New Heat Treat Facility
- New Small Bar Processing Facility
Making Metal That Makes the Difference
After more than 50 years, Electralloy is still making metal that makes the difference.
We are very proud to have passed the half century mark in our operations and quite pleased to have grown and thrived over the years. But we are most proud of our contributions to our customers.
Our steel ends up in very demanding applications and environments where component failure isn’t an option and where there is no room for error.
We make our customers' components and products safer, more durable, more productive and more reliable. We help protect lives, extend life cycles and improve profitability. Our metal truly does make the difference.
And that drives us to continue to innovate and lead every day.
We are thankful and grateful to our family of customers and look forward to leading the way for the next 50 years!